Author: Alan

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station Fast Facts

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station Fast Facts

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station was established in 1903 as an outpost against the Spanish when the US Navy was forced to station a gunboat at Alameda Point under treaty with Spain. It moved from there in 1904 to an old military harbor in Cuba and made a significant growth over the years. In 1903, the US Navy had 4 gunboats and 5 torpedo boats, plus smaller craft such as cutters and torpedo boats. Most of the ships were coastal patrol boats, which could only stay at sea for about a week at a time and had to return to port as quickly as possible. Now, the Navy has just one remaining coastal patrol boat, the USCGC Okeanos. Its mission has long been to monitor Soviet submarines and ballistic missiles in the region.

The area around the harbor is considered one of the most unsafe in the world, due to the many smugglers, criminals and drug dealers that use it as a route to get to and from the United States. Many US residents have been kidnapped or killed in the region. In 2002, US troops killed 4 smugglers in a three-hour firefight in the harbor. The US military also has a secret base in the harbor and is authorized to bomb it regularly, but has not.

Guantanamo Bay Naval Station has been a part of the US military since it was founded in 1903. Before the military base was built, the area around the harbor was mostly a fishing area, but the US government purchased some of the land from Spain for the base after the beginning of World War I. During World War II, most of the Navy and Coast Guard ships were taken from the area, but many of the Coast Guard cutters and minesweepers were sold to the US Navy. The last Coast Guard cutter left in 1969.

In the 1950s, the Navy built the base and later a pier on the west side of the harbor. In the 1970s, the Army built a series

Leave a Comment