Author: Alan

German police arrest suspects in deadly arson attack in Berlin

German police arrest suspects in deadly arson attack in Berlin

German official vows culprits ‘will pay’ for arson attack

Share this article

A former French national police investigator has said the perpetrators of the deadly arson attack in Berlin, which claimed 14 lives, must “pay the price”.

The attackers rammed a stolen truck into the underground station in the German capital while shouting “this is for Allah!” before setting fire to it.

The suspects then fled the scene. At least two of them were wearing German police uniforms.

Danish and Dutch police have opened an investigation after the attack, which occurred on Tuesday night.

Danish police said on Thursday that they had made arrests in the country’s capital, as well as in Amsterdam and Rotterdam.

Danish police spokesman Thomas Scheepker said the suspects had been identified, but he refused to give any further details.

He said the arrests were due to information from Danish media reports. He said it was unclear at present whether the suspects have been questioned.

Dutch police said their investigation was still in its early stages.

The incident had left a deep impression on German police security chief Markus Kneissl, who had been at the scene for months.

“I’ve never seen anything like it, a completely terrifying incident,” he said. “It was an arson attack. It’s totally unexpected.

“I can’t say what sort of consequences it had or if any had been inflicted. This is a very hard event.”

The attack happened at a moment when tensions were running high between Berlin and the Turkish government, which considers the whole of Germany to be within its internal affairs.

One of the truck’s passengers was later seen running away from the scene before it detonated and burned out of control.

In November 1998, another explosion ripped through the same underground station in the German capital, killing 12 people and wounding 60.

The German government had condemned the bombing of the Berlin Underground in 1998.

“This is an attack on our constitutional order, our democracy,” German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier had said in a statement.

“It is also an attack on the free and prosperous world,” he said. “We will not

Leave a Comment